About the teacher training centre
International House Sydney City is located in the Sydney Central Business District (CBD), within short walks from Town Hall/Wynyard/Martin Place train stations and the Queen Victoria Building bus stops. The iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge are a 15-minute walk from the school.
Why take a CELTA with us? We are the centre with the largest nnmber of CELTA courses in Australia. With courses starting throughout the year, there is a always a good time! You'll get:
- Teaching ‘practices’ with real students.
- Immediate opportunities for job placement.
- Expert, passionate CELTA trainers whose career goals are helping you reach your career goals.
- Career opportunities throughout the global IH network.
- The opportunity to tudy where, when and how you want to.
- Fantastic success rate
What is the CELTA
The CELTA is a TEFL qualification which prepares you to teach English as a foreign language. You don’t need any existing English language teaching experience or training. It’s usually a 4 or 5 week full time course (but you can also take it part time).
Standing up in front of a class for the first time is a daunting prospect, so you need to make sure you have the skills you need to teach effectively. The CELTA prepares you for the classroom in these ways:
- Taught sessions on methodology, lesson planning, language analysis and language skills. (In total, you’ll have 120 hours of input.)
- The opportunity to observe experienced teachers in a real-life language classroom situations – so you can see the different skills and techniques they use.
- Teaching yourself – with helpful and detailed feedback from your tutors. This practical experience is invaluable when you start your first job.
You’ll have to complete some written assignments as well, but when it’s all successfully completed you’ll be ready for your first job and first students!
CELTA Full Time with IH Sydney
Full Time CELTA at IH Sydney is Mon- Fri 8:30am – 4:30pm, for 4 weeks.
CELTA explores teaching methodologies such as:
- how to teach speaking,
- vocabulary and function
- how to analyse language
- how to teach adults in a variety of contexts
- lesson planning
- how to adapt and create classroom materials
- factors affecting motivation, cultural backgrounds and learning styles.
Teaching at IH Melbourne is based on Communicative Language Teaching methodology. The central principles that surround this approach to language teaching are based on students being very active and engaged in the classroom. Lessons are ‘student-centred’, allowing students to participate fully and discover English with their teacher facilitating this process. For learning to be successful, students must be motivated, and by encouraging and engaging our students, we achieve very positive learning outcomes.
CELTA 100% Online with IH Sydney
We are very pleased to offer 100% CELTA online, to give students greater flexibility. There are "virtual" face to face commitments as there are daily input sessions with CELTA tutors on the Zoom platform. The course is not self-paced, you have a tutor to help and guide you every day.
Full Time 100% Online CELTA at IH Sydney is Mon- Fri 8:30am – 4:30pm, for 5 weeks.
The Cambridge CELTA Course Online (or CELTA Online) is a flexible way to take CELTA. It leads to the same CELTA qualification and is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria.
Like the face-to-face CELTA course, CELTA Online has a significant practical component. You will complete 6 hours of assessed teaching practice in groups in an online classroom, from the comfort of your home!
Trainees who complete the course fully online will be given the opportunity to participate in real-classroom teaching practice free of charge once the corona virus crisis is over.
What are the benefits of CELTA Online?
- Flexible: You can access the online materials at any time, giving you the flexibility to plan your CELTA work around your other professional and personal commitments.
- Part time trainees meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays (5-9pm) for teaching practice meeting students online in real time. On Saturdays (9-3pm approx.) you will complete methodology session (like online, real time lectures)
- Accessible: Because the course is a 100% online, there will be no accommodation or travel costs! Thus reducing overall expenses (and stress!)
Will the fact that I’ve taken CELTA Online appear on my certificate?
No. CELTA Online leads to exactly the same certificate as the face-to-face CELTA. Assessed outcomes are the same for all trainees, so there is no need for separate certification.